Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Weekend update.

It's quarter to six, I'm awake, I don't need to be up until 8.30am. No better time to blog, I guess!

My last post was about the weekend plans, right? The weekend went pretty much according to plan. Finally dragged myself away from the cricket and went to my Aunt's. Got there about 8.30pm, and basically just chilled with my cousins. Good times. Didn't go to church on Sunday for one reason or the other, so headed for the Emirates, with a brief and pointless detour to Watford. My cousins were going shopping, and the plan as to get there early-ish, so I could get back in time to catch the train I needed, but we left too late, and barely 20 minutes after getting to the mall, I had to leave. Pointless, right? Didn't even get to look properly in any shops!

Anyways, made it to Fiinsbury Park, where I was to meet everyone, in good time. Was meant to get there for 1.30pm, but seeing as F1 started at 1pm, I made SURE I was at Finsbury Park before 1pm, just so I didn't get stuck underground and miss the start, which is like the best part of the race. I did miss it in the end, pesky internet reception. Was in the Arsenal store trying to buy a replica kit, and at the vital moment that I needed the internet on my phone to load really quickly, it just took it's bleeding time, and I missed the first three laps! Annoying, but at least I got to watch it in the end. Didn't watch everything, though, and when we eventually got to the Emirates, they were actually showing it on the screens in the food hall, so I watched the last 10 or so laps there. I was recording it at home, so I just re-watched the whole thing when I got home. Don't judge! ;-)

So yeah, jersey bought, F1 on my phone, all I had to do was wait for the others to turn up. Chris and Ibukun turned up first, then we had to wait for Joel and his sister, but not for too long. I was a little nervous, but really didn't need to be. They turned up, she gave me a hug, I said 'happy birthday', then we headed off to the stadium. She's actually a bit similar to me, in the sense that we're both crazy, I'm talking random dancing and singing on the street! It was funny, and good to see that she was having a good time. It was her first time at the Emirates, and she seemed to have a good time throughout, so I guess it was a good idea, afterall!

Not going to bore you with details of the games. There were two matches, the first one being the irrelevant one, as it didn't involve Arsenal, that's why I was able to watch F1 during the first game. The second one was the good one, and it had Henry playing against us. It was all good fun, and apparently, according to Twitter, there was some booing at the end, because we drew, but I honestly didn't hear it at the time. Oh yeah, probably because I was a bit tipsy! No, I'm not an alchy! But I was forced to down a bottle of Smirnoff Ice! After watching F1, a wanted to get some food, and I noticed they had Smirnoff Ice, so I thought, 'why not?'. Bought it and headed to my seat, but the steward was like 'Sorry, you can't take any alcohol past this point.' Annoying, because I wouldn't have bought it if I realised. So I had to down it, so I could go to my seat, the effect being I was a bit intoxicated, prematurely, the effect being that I was sleepy! But anyways, it was a good day out, and the weather was lovely. Took one or two pictures, but seeing as we were on the upper tier, it's hard to tell who's who! Here are a few of them:

F1 on tv at the Emirates, with fellow losers :) There were quite a few of us, actually, and this was only one tiny section of the Ems.


Oh umm, AC Milan at the Emirates. I think he got confused...

Arsenal players warming up at the top right.


Pre-match line-up.
I think it's Henry just on the edge of centre circle, left side of the photo.

This was after the first goal. Our only goal...

 

Post-match. Podium also being set-up for trophy presentation to Henry's team.

Henry being a sweetheart and doing a lone-man lap of appreciation. We love you too, Titi!

The rest of the photos aren't much better.

So, match over, time to head home. Was so so sleepy on the long train home, it was ridiculous. Kept falling off, but didn’t want to miss my stop! But when I actually got in, about 10pm, I all of a sudden wasn’t tired! I don’t why your body plays these mind tricks on you sometimes.

Oh yeah, so I got my iPad 2 from my Aunt’s house on Saturday, and I’ve been using it a bit since. It’s cool and everything, but so far, it hasn’t added that much to my life. It’s just seems like an overpriced toy, and because I’m not an Apple person, the first couple of days were annoying, as I kept getting stumped as to how to do one or two things. Much better now, but I guess I need to find a good use for it. Bought a book on Amazon for the Kindle app, and I actually started reading it. Girl with the Dragon tattoo. The beginning is a hell of a lot boring, but Janine, Joel’s sister, is a huge fan and she said to keep with it, that it starts off slowly, but gets a whole lot better. I have no idea what the book is about, as I try avoiding reading book covers (not like a got the option this time, seeing as it’s an e-version!), but I even have no idea what genre it is. Guess I’ll find out soon enough. Anyways, I digress!

I mentioned that the iPad had a story, didn’t I? It’s a funny story, but I’ll try to keep it short. A while back, before we went on holiday, my mum was asking me about getting an iPad for herself, and she wanted to know whether to get a 3G one or a Wi-Fi one. I told her 3G was best, especially as she lives in Nig and all. The plan was to get my uncle in America to buy it for her, so she could pick it up when she got there. They all got to America a day before me, and when I got there on Friday, the iPad was bought already, but it was a Wi-Fi one. My mum didn’t want the Wi-Fi one, so she planned on selling it, then buying a 3G one. Not sure who’s idea it was, but we decided to auction it on eBay. My cousin, Tolu, was the one sorting it out. We were sort of impatient, so we only let it run for about 3 days. It was exciting, because I’ve never sold anything on eBay! My mum wanted it to sell for $750, and my cousin kept updating us with bids, when they came in. There was a bit of a mini-drama, like a day before the bid was to end. Scammers kept sending my cousin emails saying, O, it’s my son’s graduation, I’ll pay you a huge amount, but I need you to send it to XYZ address asap, blah, blah blah, and one of them kept bidding, and was the highest bidder at the time. My cousin actually had an encounter with the scammers once, so he’d already learnt his lesson! He tried selling his iPhone one time, and one of the scammers actually had him, and he’d already posted the iPhone, I think to Nigeria or something, when he finally realised it was a scam! Lucky for him, there was like a rain delay, so the postal services people were able to get the iPhone off of the plane before it departed! Talk about lucky escape! So this time around, he was more cautious!

Anyways this was Sunday, and we were at my other Aunt’s house, and Tolu  got my other cousin, Bimbola, to become the highest bidder, just to see it the person wanting him to post it to XYZ address would bid higher or not. But they didn’t, so umm, Bimbola was the highest bidder, with only a few hours to go! Tolu was panicking for a bit, because he hadn’t told anyone else that my cousin was going to bid, so he was hoping and praying that someone else bid higher! Someone else did, phew, so that was Bimbola off the hook! The bid was about five hundred and something dollars at the time.

So yeah, the auction eventually ended, and the highest bid was $635. My mum wasn’t too happy with it, but she was okay with selling it at that price. All that was left was for the winning bidder to pay, and the iPad to be sent to him/her. I think eBay gives you 48 hours or so to contact the seller to arrange payment, but umm, the winning bidder never did! So after all the time and drama, the iPad 2 didn’t even get sold on eBay. Time wasted, but it was good fun monitoring the bid and everything.

We really couldn’t be bothered to go through the whole thing again though, so we had to think of alternatives. My dad eventually decided to “buy” it off my mum, so I thought it was case closed. My mum bought herself a 3G one, which she named “My Beautiful iPad”, which was all so very funny at the time, and it came in handy at one point during the holiday. I still need to blog about this holiday, and I will. Eventually...

So holiday over, went back to England. My parents and brother stayed like a whole week longer than me. Lucky them! Shortly after they got back, a got a call from my dad one evening, asking if I wanted to but the Wi-Fi iPad 2, and how much I'd pay for it. Seeing as I didn't really need it, and didn't really mind having one, and seeing as I would be doing him a favour getting it off him since he obviously didn't want it, I said maybe £300. Not like I could really afford it, but I just said that. He laughed, said he'd think about it and get back to me. He called me the next day, said he'd thought of my offer, but that they decided to give it to me as my birthday present! Totally wasn't expecting it! Was tempted to say no, but you can't really turn down an offer like that, can you!? So yeah, since my Aunt was in Nigeria at the time, it made perfect sense to send it through her, to me.

So yeah, that's the story behind the iPad. Now that I've told it, it doesn't seem as interesting as it was in my head. Oh well! I need to make it worthwhile and find useful apps. I should get back to reading that book, too.

It's quarter to 8 now, I better get my act together and get ready for work. Was extra late yesterday as I woke up at 9.30am! Unbelievable!

Hopefully I get to blog before my birthday on the 10th. Actually, I plan too! ;)

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment