Saturday, April 10, 2010

9th April. Torn!

An important date for two reasons- tickets to the last game of the season, home to Fulham went on sale; I had an American visa interview.

Pre-visa interview...

Been looking forward to getting tickets to the Fulham game, because I think (hope) we'll win the title that day! One massive problem, though; I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to make it or not! My sister's studying in America and it's her graduation end of this month, so the plan was to go for the graduation, subject to me getting a visa, as my last one expired a while back. My parents are meant to be going as well, but they'll be going from Nigeria.

No problem there as her graduation is on the 30th of April, and since the Fulham game is on the 9th of May, I ought to be able to make both. That seemed perfect, until I found out about a cruise that we're meant to be going for! It's been organised and paid for by my Uncle's family, who my sister stays with during holidays and what-not. Nothing wrong with that of-course, until you realise the cruise ends on the 9th of May.
9th of May, of all dates! Why why why?! 9th of May, I meant to be at the Emirates watching the boys lift that blasted Premier League trophy! Why couldn't it end on the 8th or something, so I can dash back here in time!? I was absolutely gutted to find out about the conflict.

But ah, there might not need to be any conflict if I don't get the visa! It's not guaranteed that I'll be issued the visa. If I'm not, I'll miss my sister's graduation, but I'll be able to make the Fulham game. If I'm issued the visa, I'll be going for the graduation and cruise but will likely be a misery personified on the 9th of May!
Totally torn as to whether or not I'd prefer to get the visa or not. I guess it'd be brilliant to see my family- not seen my mum since August, my dad since November and my sister since... Summer 2007? Not too sure, actually! It's not that much of a big deal really as I speak to them all the time and I'm sure I'll be seeing them some other time soon.
As for the graduation, I don't know whether it's that important to my sister that we're there or not. Personally, don't care much about them. My graduation for my 1st degree was in November last year (odd date really, as Uni finished ages ago in May and I'd already started my Masters!) and I wasn't too fussed about it- if not because my parents were coming down for it, I was seriously considering not turning up. The fact that I was getting an award didn't even do much to make me excited about it. I've got another graduation coming up in July; whether I go for it is another question- got to make sure I don't remind my parents about it! :)
In essence, I don't consider graduations as hugely important events- not too sure why. But then again, there aren't many occasions I consider important! I'm not even big on birthdays. A bit interesting though, that I consider Arsenal winning the trophy as important, but that's another matter!
So yeah, graduation and cruise or Arsenal v Fulham? Not my decision to make I guess, because if the visa's issued, I'll definitely be on my bike. It's just a question of whether or not I'll be disappointed about the outcome of the appointment. I reckon it's 50/50.

To make things even slightly trickier, the Fulham tickets go on sale (to Red members) on the same morning as my interview. Tickets WILL be sold out before I find out whether or not I've been issued the visa, so do I buy the tickets, just in case I don't get the visa? There IS a huge possibility that I wouldn't get the visa. Would be really upset if I lose out on the tickets, as well as the visa. That would be an epic fail!
I agonised for a while about what to do, but as it turned out, the tickets went on sale at 10am and I had to leave home at 9.55am! It wouldn't have been that much of a problem as I've got free internet on my phone, except I had to leave my phone at home as you're not allowed to take electronic devices into the Embassy. Talk about agony! Not only did I have to worry about the visa, I also had to worry about the tickets; hoping they'd not be sold out by the time I get home if I'm refused the visa. Add that to the fact that my phone is like an extension of me and I feel I'm unable to function properly without it and you have a very nervous girl and a terrible few hours coming up! I also have to wear a watch, for obvious reasons! I haven't worn one since my first year. I'm so used to checking my phone for the time, I'm probably going to forget about the watch and keep looking for my phone, all the time!

Anyways, I got the Embassy in time for my 12pm appointment, even though I end up having to wait until about 2pm before I finally get interviewed and told whether or not I got the Visa.


Post-visa interview...
Before I went to bed the night before, I kinda concluded that it wouldn't be that terrible missing the Arsenal game afterall, although I'd be crushed if we actually did win the League and I couldn't be there. Family ought to be more important really, although Arsenal's technically 'family', if you know what I mean! But yeah, I figured it would be more awesome than not, if I got the Visa. Took me a few days to reach that conclusion!

So, did I get the visa or not? Ofcourse I did! I wasn't totally sure I'd get it for a couple of reasons, but I did get it. The interview didn't even last that long, well, if you discount the waiting period!
But how did I feel? I was surprised for a brief second, then I was gutted! Sounds strange, doesn't it?! But I realised that it meant I'll miss the Fulham game (at least I didn't buy tickets!). I was a bit surprised about how gutted I was, but then I've invested so much time, energy and emotion, not to mention money, into the season and it would hurt really bad if we win the title and I'm not there. It's been such a roller-coaster season and the winning the title would mean a whole lot. Ofcourse, there's no guarantee we'll win it, but I think we can! I kind of understand just a little bit how our injured players feel not being able to play a part in matches due to factors outside your control. Now I know I'll not be there, not sure whether or not I want us to win it now! Haha, just joking. It'll be amazing if we do, given our season and the fact that no one gave us a chance in hell at the start of the season. Even if we don't win it, they'll all be eating their words!

So I was gutted. That was 2pm. I got home at about 3.30pm and as the day wore on, I started to feel less disappointed and more excited! I ought to, really! I'm off to America for a couple of weeks soon! Not been since 2006Will be seeing my sister, parents, cousins and possibly friends! Shame my brother'll not be there, as he's got exams- I've not seen him since the last time I saw my sister. But yeah, the excitement's taking over now! So graduation end of the month then an Eastern Caribbean cruise for a week! There had better be WiFi so I can follow the penultimate game of the season too, if not the excitement will surely be tempered! Got to book tickets soon, but I can't wait! I'm sure I'll find someone who's going to the Fulham game and if it looks like we will win the title, I'll get them to take loads of pictures for me! All's not lost! :)


So that's how Friday went. Mixed emotions through-out, but I guess the right result in the end...

It means the last game I'll be at this season is the Man City one on the 24th, and it should be a cracker! We've got to win- it'll keep our title challenge on track and it would be lovely to see the smile wiped off Ade's face as well as dent City's top 4 hopes. And we get to see Toure and Vieira! Looking forward to it. Oh, I actually went for the Wolves game at the Emirates the other day. Forgot to post pictures up, so maybe I'll do that in the next couple of days.
First though, it's the small matter of the North London Derby up next for us on Wednesday! Massive massive game! A draw's not good enough- a win means we do the double over Sp*rs, keep the pressure on Chelsea and United, and that St. Totteringham's Day is not too far away! Come on Arsenal!

Oh wow, just realised I haven't mentioned Messi, Barcelona or our Champions League KO on here at all! Maybe I'll give them a proper mention when I'm posting Wolves pictures. Or maybe not...

No comments:

Post a Comment