Wednesday, February 10, 2010

History? Back in the day, and right now...

Wow. I don't watch loads of movies because well, I watch mostly sports nowadays :) But I did watch a couple on tv the other day, and they both made me cry. It wasn't proper sobbing and all- I don't do that! Haha. One was
'Changeling', and the other one was 'Boy in the Striped Pajamas'. Not loads of movies make me cry, and the only other such one I can remember was 'Kite Runner', and adaptation of the book by Khaled Hosseini. I read 'Kite Runner' about 3 years ago in my 1st year at summer, watched the movie a year or so later, then bought the book about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to work in that order! But yeah, it's one of those stories that captivate you and leave a lasting memory, and even though I don't like bother buying books, as I never read them again, I just had to buy this one. (I do have a John Grisham collection, though. That's standard, since I want (wanted?) to be a lawyer!).
Anyways, back to the 'Boy in the Striped Pajamas'. Totally didn't have any idea what the movie was about (as I live under a rock!) until I watched it, and it blew me away. I didn't study History at school, as you had the choice of either History or Literature. I obviously went for Literature, as I'm a bit of a bookworm. So I didn't learn about the whole Nazi/Jew thing, but over the years, I became familiar with it. Not in complete detail, but just a few bits and bobs here, thanks to Hollywood and the internet. I'm sure that what was depicted in the movie's only a fraction of what the Jews had to go through. I can't even begin to imagine how the Jews felt back then, and how some of them might even still feel. It just makes you put your life into perspective. I'm pretty sure nothing I'll ever go through in my life will ever come close to what the Jews went through, and one can only hope and pray that nothing ever so remotely close, ever happens.

Enough of the gloom and doom, anyways! :)

I was chatting to my cousin the other day, and we were talking about 'best' things. Like best colour, food and all of that sort, and we actually both concluded that we didn't have any bests! Obviously I've always known I didn't have any 'bests', but I thought it was just me, as I'm a bit of a special case most times! Haha!
I do actually remember back in school, when at the end of each school year, we all used to fill in something called a 'slum-book'. Most people had one, and you'd get all of your friends to fill in yours. We always had the same format- everyone's book had a page for each person, and you had to fill in your name, nickname, address, best friend, best food, best colour, best actor/actress, role model, embarrassing moment and other similar things. And thinking about it, we all just used to write whatever came to mind at the time! Or you'd flick to someone else's page and copy what they wrote in theirs! Then you had to use the last bit of the page to write stuff about the owner- good or bad! I totally wish I still have one of mine, as I'm sure it'd be full of jokes and absolute nonsense! But I do have my year book though, and that's like the mother of all slum-books! So much better than the slum-book, as you only got to make one in your final year at school. (It's different from the official school year book. Ours was called 'Aurora'. Why, I haven't got a clue!).
Anyways, the year book is a much bigger book, and we did away with the silly questions, so it was more about writing stuff about the other person, and if you have any dirt on them during the course of the 6 years- best place to write it! The first few pages were usually reserved for your best friends. I think I had about 10 of them, but that's because I had like 3 different cliques! There's a long story for another day in there! :) But yeah, I filled loads of year-books, and it would be interesting to actually read what I wrote in some, and I bet if I showed mine to some people, they might either die of laughter or embarrassment! I'm still friends with most of them (thanks to Facebook!) and I'm pretty sure my year-book'll come in handy one of these days- there are some gems in it. Ah, and there are pictures as well! Some are hideous! Might dig it out one of these days...


Anyways, back to the present day! :)

I agreed to something on Monday, which I guess only time will tell if it was a good or terrible idea! There's this Arsenal blog, World of Arsenal, which I started reading about August 2008, which was round about 2 years after I started to take a proper interest in football, especially the Premier League. It was the first Arsenal blog I read, and I actually remember that day! Anyways, I regularly leave comments on there, and I've agreed to actually start writing a weekly (or thereabouts) Arsenal blog for it! It's either going to be a total disaster, or it might turn out to be awesome! I write my first post either today or tomorrow- an Arsenal v Liverpool post-match report! Hopefully I'll be writing about a win, and the ever so predictable Arshavin goal! And a Tommy V screamer, ofcourse! ;)
Wish me (and the boys!) luck...

4 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff. Wasn't a history person myself but they've been some really incredible things that have happened years ago...both good & bad. As for memories of school & uni, there are some you will never forget. This reminds me of some priceless pictures that I took recently...if I forget them, think I'll be in tears in a few years time when I see them again! And good choice so far...signed for a good team (WoA) and successful debut (1-0)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sometimes helps to understand things now, if you understand its history. It's definitely a fascinating area!
    Yeah! I tend to sometimes remember the most random things about school! Those were definitely good times.
    Time will tell about WoA- I might turn out to be a completely clueless git! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging by ur WoA comments in the last 2 yrs... Far from it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, cheers! Can't believe it's been that long, though! Time flies when you're having fun, even if not winning trophies! ;)

    ReplyDelete