Friday, March 12, 2010

Addictions...

Was going tell the ridiculous tale of my cousin and her attempts to get a car, but I'm a bit of a terrible story-teller and I just didn't think it'll come out funny! It IS funny, though. Well, somewhat. And besides, it's still an on-going saga!

Anyways, I started writing a post the other day about addictions, so I might as well finish it! :)

.................
Have I got addictions? For sure. Have I got addictions to be worried about? Erm, I don't think so. But can you really classify addictions as 'good' or 'bad'? Addictions are addictions, right? I don't know, really. But don't worry, I'm not about to tell you I've got a cigarette, drugs or drinks addiction. My life is wayyy simpler than that! ;)


My  biggest addiction has got to be sports. It's really a weird one because 5 years ago, I couldn't give a flying fig about sports but now, I can't imagine what my life would be without it. Who knows, maybe if I grew up in a sports-mad country, I probably would have tried to go into a career in sports, but well, it wasn't meant to be!
The sport I'm probably maddest about is football and it's actually really bad. I'd watch anything, even if it's football between teams I've never heard of! I think I've toned down a bit on that, but that's probably because I've found other sports to immerse myself in, so I don't have enough time to watch all the football on! And I don't just go to games or watch football on TV, but I even listen on the radio! (But to be honest, radio commentary tends to be fabulous!). But yeah, I follow the Premier League keenly, but I also have my nose in other leagues. At least I don't just watch sports, I also play as much as I can. Oh that reminds me, I need to find a new football team, a local one! Going to Southampton every week just ain't working, unfortunately :(
But yeah, Arsenal obviously, are THE team as far as I'm concerned. If I could go watch all our games I'd do, but well I can't. I probably spend most of my money on them and don't mind spending even more on them, even if it makes me bankrupt! But no, that'll never happen, I'm too smart for that! :p I wish I was a season-ticket holder, though. Maybe I'll get one in the next 20 years! It really is a long list, trust me! I'm not on it yet, as I need to convince someone else to get on the list with me, so we can get a seat together! I'm working on it, don't worry, but I haven't got that many options, since I don't know that many 'proper' gooners.

Others sports I'm absolutely addicted to? Tennis, F1 and cricket, though not necessarily in that order. My sleeping pattern is totally dependent on these sports. I sleep when it's not on and stay awake when it's on. It's a bit of a strange one actually, as I remember last year when I had exams during the Australian Open, I could only study when tennis was on. Don't know how that worked, really, but it did! Maybe my concentration levels are at their highest at these times. Very strange! Like now, I'm currently writing this post while watching F1 (Free Practice 2), but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work if an Arsenal game was on. I'm usually such a nervous wreck when the game's close by and even when it's on. I totally wouldn't be able to do anything else!
 
I think I'm allowed to say this now since I actually finished with a very decent grade, but I  think Iwas more into sports during my masters than my books. And that's saying something, since I'm a bit of a geek! But then again, I'm not sure if I'd spent more time reading, that I would have gotten a better grade- I learnt that from my undergraduate days. I was really upset for a really long time that I got a 2:1 at Uni, as I was very very close to getting a First. I still am in all honesty, but way less. I worked really really hard, yet if I'd worked less hard (is that grammar correct?), I would have still ended up with a 2:1, anyways. You don't get asked: 'Did you get a high 2:1 or a low 2:1? A 2:1's a 2:1 and the fact that I have a high 2:1 is nothing but an ego-booster. I'm not sure it'll make any practical difference to my life. So how weird is it that working very hard taught me to work less hard, and still do well? I got a Merit for my Masters anyways, and I don't regret the fact that I didn't necessary work flat out. Not saying I didn't work hard, but I made sure I had fun the best way I knew how to. Would I have got a Distinction if I'd worked flat-out? Maybe, maybe not. But what's that saying again, 'All work and no play...'? My mum made a similar point to me and I totally don't regret my decision to ease up a bit during the LLM.

But I absolutely love how I kind of arrange my life around the sports I love, as it means I don't follow a certain pattern and each day is completely different from the other. I really can't stand routine. A 9-5 job will probably be very testing for me, but who knows, I might get a get a totally flexible job! highly unlikely, unfortunately.

That's my kind of addiction!


I'm also a snooker and golf fan though I'm not addicted to them- I just watch it if it's on TV, but I always happen to know what's going on. I was raving about the Winter Olympics the other day, but I probably wouldn't watch any of them until the next Olympics! There was actually Ski-cross on TV yesterday, but I couldn't be bothered to watch it. Very impressive on my part, I'd say!

Oh, for a random 'addiction', I've been told recently that I'm addicted to Strepsils. By two different people, no less! Strepsils? Like what? How totally random. Is that even possible? I do have it loads during winter, but in my opinion, it's only as a preventative measure. For some reason, I develop colds very easily and I noticed that taking Strepsils whenever I'm back inside from the cold and start to get that funny feeling in my throat, it works! I think I've only had a cold once this summer. So that definitely isn't an addiction. I guess I'll know if it is, if I find myself buying Strepsils in summer! I won't be able to find an excuse for that now, will I?

Does reading count as an addiction? I read anything and everything. Even when I'm out and about. I read words off posters, cars, sign-posts, anything. Most people seem to be drawn to lovely scenery, but I'm drawn to words. Apart from mine, though. I totally can't stand reading what I've written. Once I'm done writing, and ofcourse doing the initial proof-reading, I can't read it again. Maybe I'm just scared I'll find an error or something, but it's a massive no-no. I don't like reading short Articles as I feel like they're a waste of my time, if you get what I mean. No wonder my posts are always so long! (Maybe even too long!) ;) Maybe that's why I like twitter, as there are always tweets to read!


At the moment, I can't think of what else I may be addicted to, but I've always felt confident that if I wanted to stop being addicted to something, I can do so- as and when I choose. I do it all the time. I remember back in my first year, my iPod was like by best friend. This was in 2005. It'd go with me everywhere, and it even got to the stage where I'd listen to it during lectures! I'm very good at multi-tasking, really! :) I bet some poeple used to describe me as the 'girl with the iPod'. Haha! But yeah, it was with me everywhere- not just with me, obviously, but I always used to listen to music on it.
But I just woke up randomly one day and decided not to use it for a week, just to prove to myself that I wasn't addicted to it. And I did it. Easily. But after the week was over, I went back to listening to it, but not as much as I used to. I wouldn't have thought it was possible then, but I don't listen to music half as much as I used to!
I used to be addicted-ish to Twitter and thanks to my reading addiction, I'd read ALL the tweets from people I follow. There were loads of them! But I just decided all of a sudden to go on a hiatus, although that was partly to do with the fact that I was getting cheesed off by the ridiculous slagging off some Arsenal players were getting, just because we lost a couple of games. It was doing my head in, but I still kept on reading everything. So I went completely off it for about 10 days. And it was easy. Not entirely at first, but once I started, it was easy to continue. I've been back on it for a while now though, but I don't read as many tweets as I used to anymore, even though I probably follow a bit more people!

Oh, how can I forget, I'm addicted to Coke! I have it as much as I can, but I'm not too worried it'll become a problem as I'm sure I can always take a break if I so wanted! Maybe that's one of the reasons I don't want to ease up on my sports addiction now, because who knows, in a few years I may not be that keen on sports anymore! (I sincerely hope not! That would just be wrong!)

I'm currentlly addicted to my laptop and my phone, as I'm constantly on the internet doing one thing or the other. Am I willling to give that up for a few days, just to prove a point to myself? I can't believe you actually want an answer! ;)
.................

Continuing in the sports theme, there hasn't been tennis on for such a long time, but the Masters 1000 series at Indian Wells starts tomorrow! I say 'starts tomorrow' even though it officially started this Monday, but in reality, it doesn't proper get going until tomorrow! I've been getting psyched up about it for weeks, especially as Roger Federer missed the last tournament due to injury and I really thought it started this Monday, only to realise that it was qualifying (for those outside the top 32) that started on Monday and Round One was meant to start on Wednesday. So I was excited on Wednesday to finally watch tennis, only to remember that the top seeds actually get 'byes' in the first round, so don't play until the second round! Why on earth didn't I remember this ages ago? I've lost a bit of my excitement now, and I bet Federer isn't even due to play until Sunday. Anyways, I guess I'll be watching whenever it's finally on and I bet it'll never skip my memory again, that the top seeds get a 1st round bye!

Another sport I've been looking forward to for SUCH a long time is Formula 1. And it's back! Woop! I think I've been counting down to the restart since the season ended November last year- I've missed it to death! It started today, but it's only been Free Practice so it's not the real deal, but it's better than nothing! Oh yeah! The first race is at Bahrain, starting with Qualifying on Saturday and the race itself on Sunday. Was watching last year's Bahrain highlights here on the Formula One website (you need to register, but it's free), and the backing track was this song. I hadn't actually heard the song before, you know, but I absolutely love it. It's by Basement Jaxx. It sounds so much better when you listen to it on the highest volume! Or high enough as you can go- don't want you disturbing the peace! ;)
Really can't wait for Saturday and Sunday. May (I probably won't! :p) do a blog post on F1 after Qualifying on Saturday and maybe I'll even convince you to watch the race! The season should be AWESOME! No doubt :D

4 comments:

  1. Debs, let me tell u what u are addicted to...long blogs! Haha ;) Interesting topic you've touched on, because I've never sat down n wondered what all my addictions are. You wondered if u can be addicted to reading? Sure you can! I'm not, though.

    One of my biggest addictions ever is facebook. At a point, it was a big challenge for me to go a day without it. If I didn't go on it, it would be becuase I had no immediate internet access. If I didn't get on for a day, I'd more than often than not think about it. It was pretty sad I thought! Well not all the time...when I felt it started to affect my studies, that's when I thought, "enough is enough". I did get my grades improved by sticking to my decision (removing my profile), then went back on in bits. Coming off and reactivating my profile several times! That was between August and December of last year. Since Jan 2010, I've come off for good. So as addicted to it as I was, I discovered that I could stay off if I really wanted to. Funny enough, I never did that much while on facebook. Going on this profile n that profile...this group and that group. Her pics, his pics, reading posts etc! Basically, not being massively productive! I always knew the hours I spent on it would be better off doing some studying/coursework. But it somehow seemed to be interesting nonetheless.

    Then came twitter...can't really remember when I joined... Early Feb maybe. I knew it would be different, but I have developed a similar desire to be on it like I did facebook! But I must say, it is more "productive" as it keeps you channelled into whatever you wanted. (As you well know, Debs!) News? Arsenal? Whatever! I could have information I felt was important in a tweet. Many a time, with a link which I felt was really cool. Not quite addicted to it...yet? This brings me to my other addiction... Arsenal...

    Arsenal... I love the Club. I really do! It's kinda weird, because I'm here thinking... Why didn't I love football 1st? I always liked it. Cricket was my 1st love, not sure I was ever addicted to it. I'll always remember the reason I fell in love with football...quite simply...Henry! His class & quality..amazing! So watching him obviously involved watching Arsenal. As time went on, from maybe about 16-17, got into Arsenal. Guess when I really really started to get addicted? My 1st year in England! They hysteria of the press & students at uni did amaze me as I went through my 1st year. Pubs always having footy on...amazing! Footy at the SU proved to be loads of fun...and I never looked back with respect to football and Arsenal.

    In my early teens, football always seemed to be a sport where some guys kick the ball around, and eventually someone scores. I thought this even after playing for class teams in school (I was the goalie! Maybe that explains it!). But with Arsenal, you slowly appreciate movement, technical ability, quality passing, vision...where was all that when I was back in Trinidad & Tobago?? And off the pitch you can appreciate the culture and values of the Club. It all came together! So yeah...my love for footy came with an appreciation of how Arsenal plays football. So I think it’s like this 4 me... Football: Love? Yes. Addicted? No. Arsenal: Love? Yes. Addicted? A definite addiction of mine! Makes sense? Can't get enough of The Arsenal.

    To be honest, I wish I was addicted to studying because I do want to do well at uni. You did well in ur uni life Debs, congrats. Sometimes we always wonder what if... and I wish I could have... But as you said, enjoying life is important too. Obviously I don't know you well, but I do feel as if u had a decent balance between school and ur addictions. I still have some learning to do regarding getting a balance right. It is a frustration I have, but ah well. I live in hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You ARE addicted to long posts too! :p
    I used to be addicted to facebook too, but I hardly ever go on it now, probably in part to do with twitter. My friend used to be so addicted to facebook that she'd get one of us to change her password, so she didn't go on it, during exam time! Lol

    I definitely am addicted to reading, but it tends to be the unimportant things I read! Lol. Like now, I'm meant to be taking some Insurance exams end of next month and I've got my materials with me, but I can't be bothered to read them- I'd rather read tweets! ;)

    Facebook can definitely be kind of unproductive, as you don't learn stuff, you just end up almost stalking people! Lol. But like you said, on Twitter, you do get the news or updates that are important to you, like ofcourse, Arsenal news! Haha. But yeah, apart from being loads of fun, twitter's definitely informative, although it can be a bit too much, sometimes!

    Interesting stuff you said about football, as it was very similar for me. I remember growing up playing football, but it wasn't ever about skill or technique or anything, just scoring! I used to play with my siblings and friends in the yard and in front of the house, but never really thought about it in terms of sports. In all honesty, I don't think the Premier League or even Arsenal existed in my brain until pretty late on, and I didn't get hooked on it and Arsenal until after I came here in my first year.
    It wasn't so much the press or anything for me, but just watching it was enough. My cousin and Aunt were Arsenal fans as well, but I think I'm the biggest Arsenal fan now! I can't really say what made me choose Arsenal, because I don't know. But like I always say, I've been an Arsenal fan since I was born- I just didn't realise it until a few years ago! :) But yeah, if there's one addiction I hope I never get cured of, it's the Arsenal!

    AS for Uni, I didn't enjoy my undergrad much, or rather I didn't have that much fun, until probably my final year, so I made sure I had loads of it for my post-grad.
    Like you said, it's all about balance, and I guess what counts as balance varies from person to person- gut-feeling's a good way of judging, though!
    But yeah, I'm sure when push comes to shove, you'll always find a way to study! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Leave my posts alone! lol :P Get on that exam material debs! I think u r just confident that you'll do well on them even if you're not studying well in advance huh?

    I used to read a combo of useless and useful all the time! But since twitter, I have appreciated the fact that I'm not gonna be able to read EVERYTHING... Not even some of the "useful" stuff...or else I'd be glued to my laptop reading forever! I do like reading, but definitely not addicted to it. Having said that, my enjoyment doesn't AT ALL extend to books. I'm really not a fan of books. Maybe that's technology's fault? (Always trying not to blame myself...lol) Even my reference list for uni work is more web-based sources than books :S. Not sure that's a good thing!

    Liking your Arsenal story. Quite interesting to hear people's, "Well I became an Arsenal supporter because..." story. Not sure if I would be able to live in the same house with my bro if he were to support, you know, 'them' right up the road! One day I might hear that a supporter from 'that' side of North London started to support the Arsenal! It must have happened before (and hopefully not vice-versa)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, will probably start reading soon- once the pressure's on! It's all relatively new to me- the stuff I need to read- so I better get on it asap...

    I used to read loads of books, but I hardly do any more- can't remember the last one I read! It's definitely the Internet's fault! ;)


    I'm not really sure I've got much of an Arsenal story. Can't even remember the first (or second or third!) game I watched! I doubt I could ever have been a Sp*rs fan though, because I already didn't like them, before I even knew about our rivalry! That sealed my gooner-status, I guess! :D

    ReplyDelete