Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thursday and Friday.

It's already early morning Saturday morning, and I was going to write this post on... Thursday! But I was really tired when I got back home so I decided to sleep instead! We all need our beauty sleep, you know!

But anyways, Thursday felt like a very looong day. As of Wednesday afternoon, I didn't have any proper plans, but as it turns out with my friends, they like to spring things up on me at the last minute- probably because they know I haven't got much doing, so I'm likely to be available! I had to meet Oyinda in London this time around. It was urgent (ish) stuff, anyways, so I couldn't avoid it, really.

Was planning on getting my hair done (steamed, trimmed and all that) on Friday in Mill Hill, but since I had to be in London on Thursday, it only made sense to only make one trip to London, so I had to try and fit both 'meetings' into Friday. After making a number of phone-calls, the day was finally sorted- meet Oyinda at Kings Cross for about 11am to get things sorted, then be at Mill Hill for about 2-3pm.

It's so hard getting up in the morning. I'm sooo not a morning person! But anyways, I only had to leave home at 10am so it wasn't too bad. I did get to Kings Cross at about 10.40am. She'd banged on about how I had to get there before 11am, and typical, eh? She was late! She meant 11:00 BMT,but I guess I should have realised that the BMT she meant was 'Black Man's Time'. Haha! She did say, after I was at King's Cross though, that she'd forgotten something at home and had to go back. She only lives at Holloway Road, but she was still about 20minutes late! I really ought not to moan much, though- who knows, I might be the late one, next time!

Anyways, where were we off to again? We had to go all the way to Excel. Why? We had to go to the tailors'. Why? That's the long bit! Basically, it's Oyinda's cousin's wedding next Saturday and the way it works traditionally, is that for the reception, the bride's family (and/or the groom's family, not too sure, really) usually get to wear something called aso ebi; my rough translation- family cloth (that's a rubbish translation, but it's one of those ones that a literal translation doesn't really do justice for!). What it is really, is that they choose a particular fabric for family and friends to wear, if interested. Thankfully, Urban Dictionary do have a better explanation!
Immediate family almost always have to wear the fabric, but it's generally optional, and you tend to buy from the family. I don't know, but I think the whole purpose anyways, is to sort of contribute towards the wedding. That might not be the reason, but it sounds like a good enough reason! And it usually ends up looking nice, especially in pictures, with a bunch of people wearing the same fabric. It's up to you to get it sewn at a tailor's, and you've got carte blanche as to the style or design!
So yeah, Oyinda and I (and another of our mates) bought the aso ebi (it only cost £30), so we just had to find a tailor. It's not really stuff I can be bothered much with, so I just left Oyinda in charge. I'm not related to the people getting married, so I'm sure it wouldn't matter to anyone whatever I was wearing!

Either ways, she found a tailor at Excel, so we just had to find our way there, choose what design we wanted sown for us. I'm like the least fashion-minded of us friends, so I hadn't given much thought to it! No surprise Oyinda had, though, as she came armed with her laptop, full of pictures of different styles to choose from. I ended up choosing something really simple from a magazine, as I'm not that fussy! And I got a picture, too!


First things first, though- I totally am not brave enough to wear a dress with that low a neckline, and I think those black pouch-thingies on the hip are a bit dodgy, so I'm not having those- the neckline'll be a bit higher, if not I'd feel self-conscious for the whole time! Also, the black transparent band on her waist will so not be transparent for me, and will be a different colour which matches the aso ebi. Simple does it, I'd say, especially as it ain't my wedding, or anything. I can't remember, but I think the outfit's brown and orange, but in all honesty, I've forgotten what it looks like! Oyinda went for something slightly more complicated, but I guess she's allowed to! And it's only costing me £35, which is really decent. We've got to go back (unfortunately!) on Thursday for the fitting- got to hope it turns out fine, seeing as the wedding'll only be 2 days away!
Anyways, we were out of the tailor's at about 1pm. Job done. Oyinda was off to her Aunt's for some more wedding preparation!

Actually, I do remember when her cousin got proposed to! I can't remember why, but I was staying over at Oyinda's that day- I think it was around October/ November. Oyinda's friends with her cousin's boyfriend, so he told her earlier he was going to propose to her cousin on her birthday, so she had to pretend not to know anything about it! I think he took her to dinner, under the guise that it was just the usual birthday dinner, then he proposed. She said yes- obviously! The only reason why I remember, is the terrible acting skills of my friend! Her cousin called her later that day to tell her she was getting married and to give her the low-down, but she had to pretend as if she knew nothing about it. Gosh, she's so terrible! Haha! I can't believe she actually screamed when her cousin mentioned the proposal- that's was like the fakest scream ever! Ok, I'm probably exaggerating, but it was hilarious!

Anyways, with the tailor done, I had to get myself down (up?) to Mill Hill to get my hair sorted. Good timing, really, as I got there at about 2.30pm. Not bad! Of late, I've been feeling happy with myself that my hair's relatively long, but it did need a proper trimming. I think getting your hair trimmed is one of the most painful things ever, especially as you can always see how much the hairdresser's cutting off! A necessary evil- that's what I call it! My hair definitely looks much better now, even though it's way shorter :(
I'll console myself in the fact that it looks nicer than it was before! The disadvantage of salons is that you end up staying there for much longer than necessary, really. Didn't leave until about 6pm! Crazy, I know! At least my cousin picked me up from the station, so it wasn't that much of a pain getting home.

I got home in time to catch the second-half of the Fulham-Juve match in the Europa League. What a corker! Totally chuffed to bits for Fulham and Roy Hodgson. Pretty unbelievable that they were able to turn what was at one point, a 4-1 deficit to win 5-4. Against the Old Lady, of all people! I guess the fact that they were down to 10 men for most of the match helped, but still, that was an amazing performance by Fulham! We might be London rivals, but it was great how most Arsenal fans, at least the ones on twitter, were right behind them. I'm sure if it were Chelsea though, we'd all have been supporting Juve! Massive massive well-done to Fulham. At least one West London team was able to do the business against an Italian team! ;) There were loads of good games in the Europa League on Thursday, actually. Loads of goals. The Liverpool v Lille was on next- glad I was watching it in my room, as I promptly fell asleep sometime during the second-half. I somehow ended up dreaming that Liverpool won 5-0 or 5-1, with Torres scoring a hat-trick! That's what I get for falling asleep while watching/listening to football. For the record, that game ended 3-0 (2 goals to Torres) and I'm sure it was 3 nil anyways, by the time I fell asleep!

So that was Thursday. Felt like an eventful day, but it wasn't really. I'm just a lazy so-and-so! :)

The only memorable thing about Friday was the Champions League draw! That was officially meant to start at 11am, but the draw itself didn't start until 11.15am. I had to book myself a Doctor's Appointment that morning, but I had a momentary brain-freeze and chose a 10:40am appointment, after being offered one at 9:50am! It was only after getting off the phone that I remembered my blunder! Duh!
 I only live about 10-15 minutes away from the hospital, so I was going to rush home quickly. But how totally predictable that I didn't get to see the Doctor until about 11am! That didn't last longer than 5-8 minutes, but it meant I had to follow the draw on the BBC website on my phone, as I was walking home. I was nervous as hell! So the first couple of draws saw Man. United paired with Bayern Munich and Bordeaux v Lyon! That could only mean that we either had to Inter, Barcelona or CSKA Moscow. But as luck would have it, we were paired with Barcelona! I literally went weak at the knee! I so didn't want Barcelona- not because I think we can't beat them or anything, but because I would have preferred that to be the final! But not only that, if (read when) we beat Barcelona, we probably have to then face Inter or CSKA in the semis, then probably United in the final!
Another reason for me being gutted about the draw, is because I wanted to go for the home leg. But the chances of Red members getting tickets are slim to none! It's times like this I hate all you lot with season tickets! Haha, just joking! But I realy wish I was going to the game. It's going to be epic! The bookies are all predicting a Rooney v Messi final- as if they're guaranteed to be there, already! As far as I'm concerned, our tie could go either way, but I'm sure if the players are well up for it, there's no reason why we can't take the holders on and beat them! Cannot wait! I hope we crash the party! But I guess I'll have to do with watching on TV. Better than nothing, though!

Anyways, no need to worry about Barcelona for now- we've only got the small matter of a London derby against West Ham on Saturday, in the league. Not only that, we also get the chance to go top if we win, since Chelsea and United don't play until Sunday! I'm sure we can do it- as long as we don't repeat what happened at Upton Park where we let a 2-goal lead slip inside the last 15 minutes and ended up drawing the game!
No slip-ups, please! Come on Arsenal! :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the bit about Black Man Time! Me n my Caribbean course-mate have an amazing understanding when it comes to that. Whenever we plan to meet up, it’s always BMT! Sumtimes we mention it, sometimes we don’t! It’s just that automatic sometimes lol Arrangements on the same day can be 10-30 mins late, n that’s acceptable! Planning in advance can be worse at times! Like if it’s meeting up 2mrw, 1 o’clock can mean 2:15! Lol Sad, really! I’m convinced it’s in the DNA haha!! Having said that, I guess if it were to travel somewhere, it would be different. Meeting up to do uni work deserves BMT i’m afraid!
    Really cool how every country n culture has their own wedding tradition! Even the twin island country I’m from varied a bit in older days with traditional weddings. So what’s urs gonna b like? Huh? :P
    Fulham have really impressed me as well. I always remember how good we had to come to beat them earlier this season. RvP pulled some self-control and finishing out the top draw for that 1-0 win! Sublime pass from Cesc for the assist, as well. Not sure Roy is ready 4 the England job yet. I mean, he is quite experienced, so maybe. But I’d like to see him do more with Fulham. He’s a good English manager. Think Fulham need him. They really believe in him and they’re showing it on the pitch.
    Like yourself, so sad I couldn’t get to the Barca game! I did try to win 2 tickets on The Fans’ Forum last Friday! Sucked not to win! I did win tickets for the Brazil v R. Ireland game on ATVO, but a test @ uni meant I couldn’t use them! If it makes u feel any better, I would have given u the other ticket had I won! Got a mate who is a Man U supporter, and he respects Arsenal. I know he would have wanted to go, but such a ticket is for real Gooners! Don’t personally know many real Gooners very well... Anyways, well excited about the game! Hope we have Cesc and Gallas in the side! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm not really a fan of BMT, but when you've got events to go for, you just have to factor it in, if not you'll be EARLY!

    I think Fulham are going for the Europa cup and aren't focusing too much on the League- their form of late has been a bit dodgy. Roy for England- I think that might happen one day, but it depends on whether he wants it. But also, football can be a bit fickle. Who know what might happen to him and Fulham? His stock might suddenly fall! I think he'd do great though; he seems like someone the players would respect...

    The Barca game was AWESOME! Aw, how nice of you, saying that you'd have given me your spare ticket! I'm doubly gutted you didn't win it now! :p

    Looking forward to tomorrow's game?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh...nice to NOT have a 140 characters limit for once (still luv ya Twitter!). U may just see this reply after the game, anyway! I do think Roy has a no nonsense attitude about him which demands respect. Seems to go about his job seriously. As you say, though, football is fickle. So u never know!

    Really looking forward to the game tomorrow (well today). It's my 1st Premier League game, so really excited about it. Hope to be shouting out "THEO THEO" (when he scores his brace?)... Think it'll b a tough game, but don't see why we can't come away with a victory. We should believe in ourselves after we were able to draw with the world's best. Gutted about our million injuries, but I've almost become used to it now. So down I'm not gonna see Cesc pull strings in mid-field, with Arsh/RvP/Gallas out too. I'm really hoping I see RvP/Arshavin for the City game...we shall see! Off to bed. Got a train to catch :) See u later...maybe literally! :P

    ReplyDelete